Alcohol Resources for Friends


A friend of mine is trying to get sober. She goes to a college a few hours away, and has had problems with alcohol for a long time – both of her parents are also alcoholics. She keeps texting me whenever she gets drunk and I never know how to respond. She seems to want me to make some sort of judgment about her actions, and I don’t want to tell her I think she’s doing the wrong thing because I think that might make her even sadder and make her want to drink even more. I don’t know what to do. Is there some sort of resource for people trying to help their friends get sober?


The University has a few resources that may be able to help you. The first (and probably best option) would be contacting University Counseling Services (UCS). They have many psychologists on staff that can help students address a variety of concerns. The number for UCS is 319-335-7294. You may also visit their website for more information: Secondly, there is a Substance Abuse Counselor at Student Health & Wellness that can hold consultations for students. The number to schedule an appointment is 319-335-8394.

One of these links might be helpful for you as well:


Student Health & Wellness Staff

Written 10/30/12

Updated 05/20/13