Patient Care Partnership
Understanding your rights and responsibilities
Student Health & Wellness is committed to providing an environment that fosters quality healthcare. Employees are expected to assist you in understanding and exercising your rights. Likewise, you are expected to understand your responsibilities to your caregivers and other individuals attempting to provide services to you.
Our goal is for you to have the same care and attention we would want for our family and ourselves.
The following sections explain some of the basics about how you can expect to be treated at Student Health & Wellness. They also cover what we will need from you to care for you better. If you have questions at any time, please ask them.
- You have a right to personal privacy while in our clinic and to have all information about your illness and care treated as confidential.
- You have a right to request a family member, friend, or personal partner be present during your appointment.
- You have a right to know the names and professional titles of your caregivers and be informed if any of your healthcare providers are in training.
- You have a right to know about your illness and proposed treatment and participate in the development of your plan of care. Your healthcare team will give information to you in terms that you can understand.
- You have a right to make informed decisions about your care including your right to accept or refuse medical care or treatment and to know what may happen if you don’t have the care or treatment.
- You have a right to receive appropriate assessment and management of your pain.
- You have a right to request a change of your healthcare provider and/ or obtain a second opinion.
- You have a right to agree or refuse to take part in any study or experiment related to your care or treatment. A refusal will not jeopardize subsequent care at the Student Health & Wellness.
- You have a right to review your bill and have explanation of any items on your bill.
- You have a right to express concerns or complaints regarding your care to SHW administration and participate in a formal grievance procedure.
- You have a right to confidential treatment of disclosures and records and an opportunity to approve or refuse their release as described in the University of Iowa Health Care Privacy Notice.
- You have a right to view your medical records within the limits of the law.
- You have a right to have language interpretation available as needed.
You have a right to confidential treatment of disclosures and records and an opportunity to approve or refuse their release as described in the University of Iowa Health Care Privacy Notice.
In order to receive optimal care, you are responsible for:
- Respecting rights of others and treating them with courtesy including other patients, healthcare professionals and clinic staff.
- Keeping your scheduled appointments or canceling your appointments as far in advance as possible, so that the time may be given to someone else.
- Providing accurate and complete information about all matters pertaining to your health, including medications, allergies, past or present medical problems, perceived risks and wishes for your medical care.
- Seeking clarification if you do not fully understand your health problem and the proposed plan of care.
- Following through on your agreed plan of care or discuss with your provider reasons for not following the plan. Accepting the consequences of your decision if you choose not to follow instructions or advice.
- Not lending your personal identification to others. This may lead to entries in the wrong medical record or errors in your treatment.
- Keeping your medication secure and not giving medication prescribed to you to others.
- Providing accurate and timely information regarding your health insurance.
- Paying your bills or arranging with the SHW to meet your financial obligations in a timely manner. The SHW and UIHC are distinct University organizations and bill separately for their services.
- Engaging in behaviors to promote or maintain a healthy lifestyle.
For more information about your rights and responsibilities, contact the Administrative Office at Student Health & Wellness, 319-335-8392.
If you want to learn about MyChart, an online service that allows instant, secure access to your health records, click here.