Looking to Get Active?
Physical activity is an important component in leading a healthy life. Student Health & Wellness can help you reach your fitness goals. Our health educators can meet with you for a variety of fitness services:
- 1-on-1 consultations (discuss barriers, create goals, plan workouts, etc.)
- Equipment orientations and/or tips on weightlifting form
- Fitness testing (blood pressure, body fat, cardiorespiratory endurance, strength, flexibility)
Where: Appointments are held at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (map)
Cost: Free for current students at the University of Iowa
How to Schedule an Appointment: All fitness consultations take place in our offices in the Wellness Services area at the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center. To schedule an appointment call 319-353-2973. Please email Heidi with any fitness questions.
How to Get Active Now!
Fitness Demonstration Videos
Campus Fitness Facilities:
- Campus Recreation and Wellness Center (CRWC)
- Fitness East
- Field House
- Hawkeye Recreation Fields
- Hawkeye Softball Complex
- Hawkeye Tennis and Rec. Complex
- High Adventure Challenge Course
- Outdoor Rental Center
- P. Sue Beckwith Boathouse
- Recreation Building
Fitness Activities, Parks/Nature Areas in Iowa City:
- Iowa City Recreation Facilities, 220 S. Gilbert, 319-356-5100
Open gym, racquetball, volleyball, weight/exercise room. The Recreation Division also coordinates a number of organized league sports (basketball, softball, volleyball) as well as lesson and recreational programs such as aerobics classes and swimming.
- Macbride Nature Recreation Area (formerly MacBride Campus) Offers a raptor education and rehabilitation center, picnicking, camping and hiking and cross-country skiing. Contact Recreational Service, 319-335-9293.
- City Park Park Road (across from Hancher Auditorium)
Over 100 acres with softball fields, tennis and basketball courts, sand volleyball pits, walking/biking trails, and an outdoor swimming pool ($3.00).
- Coralville Reservoir and Devonian Fossil Gorge, 319-338-3543
Bike trails, over 7 miles of hiking trails around the Lake, swimming, boating, camping, and two disc golf courses available among many other outdoor recreation options.
- Hickory Hill Park
One of the most "wild" spaces still preserved in the Iowa City area. Over 190 acres with many trails (some rougher, some easier) over a variety of terrain including hills, pastures, woods, and wildflower fields. Great for hiking, walking, running, dog walking, etc. Entrances off North Dodge, 7th Avenue, Bloomington Street.
- Lake MacBride State Park
Campgrounds, beach area, frisbee golf, picnic areas and multi-use trail system.
- Mercer Park 1317 Dover, 319-356-5109
30 acres in a traditional, recreational center setting including ball diamonds, indoor aquatics center, tennis courts, and basketball courts. Offers many swimming and aquatics programs (water aerobics, lap swimming, etc).
- Sugar Bottom
An 18-hole disc golf course, beach areas and camping, along with over 10 miles of biking trails.
To Get More Information on Fitness:
- Be Active Your Way: learn how you can fit physical activity into your life - your way