The Health Ninja program is an exciting program at the University of Iowa!
As Health Ninjas, students influence friends and peers to make healthy choices. They are trained and equipped with interesting health knowledge that may be used in everyday conversations. Through these conversations, healthy practices are supported and myths are dispelled.
Health Ninjas are students who have the exciting opportunity to improve the health of friends, peers, and the greater campus community by informing them about the myths and truths about health.
To become a Health Ninja, students must be nominated as Health Ninjas by their peers. Health Ninjas are people who influence peers in ways that promote positive health behavior changes. Nominated students are mailed monthly resources and information to better equip Health Ninjas to talk with their peers.
Benefits of becoming a Health Ninja:
- Leadership skills and training
- Better understanding of peer influence
- Skills to use peer influence in positive ways
- Health knowledge about interesting things
- Resources to promote the program (t-shirts, backpacks, etc.)
- The ability to positively impact entire communities, both at UI and beyond
- A great resume builder
Comments from previous Health Ninjas:
- "The reason why I like being a part of Health Ninjas is that it lets me get involved with people who value the same things I do- being active, eating well, balancing school and friends, and wanting to encourage other people to do the same. It’s also a new thing on campus, so it’s up to us to make it into what we want and keep the group growing."
- "I have learned so much from the information I have received from Ninjas. I have passed it on to a lot of friends, family, and hall mates. It feels really good knowing I can help people and share knowledge with them."
- "I am always the person that my friends turn to when they have general health questions. I like knowing a lot of random facts on different topics."
- "When it comes to knowledge about health, I am a black belt."
How can I nominate someone to be a Health Ninja?
Nominate your Health Ninja and we'll send them personal congratulations and an invite to become a Health Ninja! To nominate your Health Ninja, email the following to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Your nomination's name
- Their UI student email address
- 50 words or less describing why your friend deserves to be a Health Ninja
Learn about the program by contacting:
Haylie Miller: email@example.com