Student Health Advisory Committee
The Student Health Advisory Committee transitioned from a presidential charter to a student organization in fall 2013. University of Iowa undergraduate and graduate students meet with the UI Student Health & Wellness Director, James Kellogg, to advise him and the SHW staff on health and wellness issues relating specifically to UI students.
The goals of SHAC are:
- To advise SHW on the needs and issues of student health.
- To provide input on various SHW decisions.
- To encourage student advocacy for health and wellness issues.
- To foster leadership skills for SHAC members.
- To be the SHW “eyes and ears” in the UI student community.
- To foster SHW staff relationships with the UI student population.
SHAC is composed of approximately 12 students who meet multiple times per semester to discuss ways SHW can improve its services to UI students and to offer student insight into current student issues and functioning. SHW students listen to informational talks by the SHW Director, explore the SHW website and social media, and share their insights about student needs and how SHW can better or more creatively meet these needs.
For more information, contact current SHAC chair, Brian Wall.