The CDC recently issued recommendations for an additional dose of COVID-19 vaccine for those who initially received a two-dose mRNA vaccine series (Pfizer BioNTech or Moderna) and have certain conditions that affect immune response. This includes those who have:
- been receiving active cancer treatment for tumors or blood cancers
- received an organ transplant and are on medicine to suppress the immune system
- received a stem cell transplant within last two years and are on medicine to suppress the immune system
- moderate or severe primary immunodeficiency (such as DiGeorge syndrome, Wiscott-Aldrich syndrome)
- advanced or untreated HIV infection
- active treatment with high-dose corticosteriods or other drugs that may suppress your immune response
People who need an additional dose should receive a 3rd dose of the same vaccine used in the initial series, when feasible. Student Health currently has Pfizer BioNTech vaccine.
At this time, additional doses are not recommended if a person received the one-dose Janssen (Johnson & Johnson) vaccine.
Fully vaccinated individuals with healthy immune systems do not need an additional dose of COVID-19 vaccine at this time.
Call Nurseline at 319-335-9704 to ask questions and discuss your options for getting this additional vaccine.