We strive to provide quality, compassionate care to all students. We encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider about your sexual identity, gender identity and sexual behavior. In order to provide you with the best and most appropriate care, providers must be fully informed. Your care and any information disclosed to your provider is strictly confidential (learn more by clicking here). Respect for diversity is expected of all providers at Student Health & Wellness, and staff participate in ongoing diversity training. If you have questions about our services or if you have suggestions, contact Jim Kellogg, SHW Director.
- Medical care from a member of the LGBTQ community or from a LGBTQ-friendly provider
- Immunizations against diseases particularly prevalent in the LGBTQ population
- STI screening and counseling by clinicians having expertise with the concerns of LGBTQ individuals
- Mental health care and counseling referrals for mental health issues (related to coming-out, depression, anxiety, relationship issues) specifically affecting members of the LGBTQ community
- Wellness consultations (e.g., stress management, tobacco cessation, substance abuse, fitness, nutrition)
Additional services for transgender patients
SHW can offer support to students who are undergoing gender re-assignment. SHW providers can refer you to the UIHC LGBTQ clinic to provide you with necessary medical and pharmaceutical care.
Preparing for your visit
- Ten Things Gay Men Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Ten Things Lesbians Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
- Ten Things Transgender Persons Should Discuss with Their Healthcare Provider
Gender-neutral restrooms are available within SHW.